Trouble getting updates w/o Squeak

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Jul 1 01:10:05 UTC 2003

On Monday 30 June 2003 11:05 am, Jazzmynn wrote:
> I having problems "batch downloading" Squeak updates.
>
> On the Swiki page "Updating with no net access"
> (http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/24), a reference is made to an
> "updates.list" file
> (http://squeak.cs.uiuc.edu/Squeak2.0/updates/updates.list).

There's also
http://update.squeakfoundation.org/external/updates/updates.list

> When I try to access this file in a web browser, I never get
> connected.

I believe you're running into browser sniffing.

Assuming you're running a browser that lets you change the User-Agent
string (or have wget or curl or something like that), just set your
User-Agent to something that starts with "Squeak".

wget -U Squeak3.6alpha-5294

http://update.squeakfoundation.org/external/updates/5294SMCardUndeclared-nk.cs

> Does anyone have a suggestion to accomplish what I did "in the Good
> Olde Days" short of running Squeak?

From within Squeak, you'd just do this, of course, to save the files
on your hard drive:

Utilities readServerUpdatesThrough: 10000 saveLocally: true
updateImage: false

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com