[ANN] Bitstream Vera Fonts with TTCFontFixes

Jim.Gettys at hp.com Jim.Gettys at hp.com
Tue Jul 1 20:33:35 UTC 2003

> From: Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de>
> Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 17:07:16 +0200
> To: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
> <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
> Cc: Jim.Gettys at hp.com
> Subject: Re: [ANN] Bitstream Vera Fonts with TTCFontFixes
> -----
> We are happy with them :-)
>
> Although, Squeakers like to have arrows in their fonts, at least for
> left arrow (used for assignment) and up arrow (for return). That would
> be unicode 2190 and 2191. Any chance of adding these?

If you do the work to add them, sure...  The agreement with Bitstream
covers additions to the fonts.  The rough guidelines are on the
www.gnome.org/fonts page.  I still don't have a document from Jim Lyles
about the design guidelines; I'll ping him again after I'm back from vacation
in a couple weeks.

> But you are right, subpixel rendering would be sweet. I don't think we
> have a BitBlt rule for per-component alpha yet, though. Should be a fun
> little project: make the alphas come from the source form, and blend
> with the constant color (halftoneForm).

Xft does more than this: it also adjusts the hints themselves.  Both
are needed to get the quality we now get on Linux.

			- Jim

--
Jim Gettys
Cambridge Research Laboratory