Windows VM memory allocation?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Jul 2 00:09:25 UTC 2003

I have 512Mb memory installed in a Windows ME system.

On Windows, I fill a Squeak image with lots of data, and save it in a
230Mb image.

On Linux, I can load this image with no problem. On Windows ME on the
same machine, I cannot load the image. I tried loading it on another
computer with Win2K and 1Gb memory, and get the same result.

On my Windows ME system, the system monitor shows 366Mb physical memory
unused before running Squeak. The system monitor show Squeak VM grabbing
all but approx 130Mb of physical memory when it runs (plenty left).

On Windows ME or Windows 2K, Squeak dies with the following console
output:

out of memory

503143432 SystemDictionary>snapshot:andQuit:embedded:
503143340 SystemDictionary>snapshot:andQuit:
503143248 TheWorldMenu>saveAndQuit
503143156 TheWorldMenu>doMenuItem:with:
503143064 [] in MenuItemMorph>invokeWithEvent:
503142972 BlockContext>ensure:
503142880 Cursor>showWhile:
503142564 MenuItemMorph>invokeWithEvent:
503142468 MenuItemMorph>mouseUp:
503142376 MenuItemMorph>handleMouseUp:
503142112 MouseButtonEvent>sentTo:
503142020 Morph>handleEvent:

<remaining stack dump snipped>

Anybody know what's going on here? I tried running the Windows VM
with the "-memory:350" command line parameter, as well as with no
command line parameter, and get the same results regardless. I must
be missing something obvious.

Thanks,
Dave