[UPDATES] More KCP updates (and problems)

Doug Way dway at riskmetrics.com
Wed Jul 2 06:10:42 UTC 2003

These are the latest KCP changes.  I ran into a few problems, so I left
out two of the changesets for now.  (The other changesets didn't appear
to depend on these.)

Here's what I ran into:

KCP-0083-NewBeepENG.cs:

All method timestamps are missing.  Not sure how this happened... maybe
the author entered nothing for initials?  (Or was it filed out in a
special way?)  But this needs to be fixed before it can go in... this
is a pretty large changeset, we don't want a bunch of empty timestamps
going into the image.  (Also, there are a few conflicts with more
recent changes, such as the MCP changes.  I was starting to fix these
when I noticed the timestamps being missing.)

A regular-expression expert could probably fix this changeset pretty
easily... we just need to replace this--

methodsFor: '*'!

with this--

methodsFor: '*' stamp: 'nb 6/17/2003 12:25'!

where the asterisk represents an arbitrary string.  ('nb' was the
author of the class Beeper, so he could be the author of all other
methods too.)  Anyone want to try this?

When filing in KCP-0085-MoveToChangeSet:

A pop-up menu appears:

"SystemChanges is still used in code of class SystemDictionary.  Is it
okay to move it to Undeclared?" (Yes/No)

What does this mean?  "SystemChanges" doesn't appear anywhere in the
changeset code, and it is not the name of a class or global.

Things seem okay if I say Yes to this, though, so I will include this
one for now.  Perhaps it is unavoidable?

When filing in KCP-0090-SpaceTally.cs:

A notifier appears:

"SystemDictionary>>changes has been deprecated. This method is
deprecated please use ChangeSet current instead.  Select Proceed to
continue, or close this window to cancel the operation."

Since this is the last approved kcp changeset, I'm going to leave it
out.

Here are the usual update summaries...

----------------------------
5295KCP67beep -- stephane ducasse -- 11 May 2003
Deprecate beep from SystemDictionary. Change beep in Object to use the
sound system if present or use beepPrimitive as suggested by andreas."

5296KCP68Imports -- stephane ducasse -- 11 May 2003
Introduce a class that stores and collect imported images and others
data.
Fix also some dirts: deprecate Dictionary>>inspectFormsWithLabel: and
define a better creation interface in GraphicalDictionaryMenu and
FormInspectView."

5297KCP69FixChangeSorter -- stephane ducasse -- 11 May 2003
fix changeSorter reference to Smalltalk instead of SystemNavigation"

5298KCP70StRefInBrowser -- stephane ducasse -- 11 May 2003
Fix a Smalltalk reference in Browser that should be a self
systemNavigation one."

5299KCP71mvDefaultSelector -- Roel Wuyts - Alexandre Bergel -- 12 May
2003
Moved Behavior>>defaultSelectorForMethod: to
CompiledMethod>>defaultSelector, since it was a utility method taking a
method as argument. Updated the senders of the method and updated the
MethodFinder to mark it as dangerous, since
Behavior>>defaultSelectorForMethod: was marked as dangerous."

5300KCP76ValidateSubclsFmt -- Brent Vukmer -- 2 April 2003
Following Tim Rowledge's hint, I put added a little bit of
'typeOfClass' logic to
ClassBuilder>>validateSubclassFormat:from:forSuper:extra:.  Actually, I
put the logic inside a new method:
ClassBuilder>>validateSubclass:canKeepLayoutFrom:forSubclassFormat:.
If the subClass is 'weak' and the superclass is 'variable', then the
ClassBuilder should proceed with its bidness.

5301KCP78DeprecationMech -- Roel Wuyts -- 13 May 2003
After discussion with KCP people, we chose to adopt a single mechanism
for deprecating changes, namely by calling 'self deprecatedExplanation:
', followed by the original code. This changeset updates all deprecated
methods to follow this scheme. It replaces two existing deprecation
mechanisms: one where 'self flag: . self error:' was used, and one that
used #deprecated:explanation:."

5303KCP84ChangeSetCurrent -- Stephane Ducasse -- 22 May 2003
Define all the changes related behavior of SystemDictionary in
ChangeSet to prepare the migration.
The postscript  initializes the singleton of ChangeSet.
- add current: method that apparently disappeared.
Fix the postscript so that it is evaluated now"

5304KCP85MoveToChangeSet -- Stephane Ducasse -- 22 May 2003
This changeset deprecates the SystemDictionary methods related to
changeSet and fix senders.
The method current: is also removed from ChangeSet
has we do not need to break the encapsulation of the singleton anymore."

5305KCP87MvFullScreenMode -- stephane ducasse -- 7 June 2003
move fullScreenMode: from SystemDictionary to
DisplayScreen. (note that I identified a bug in the VM) so if you
invoke this method you may crash your VM. But this is crashing your VM
even when the primitive was at the old place. So the clean is safe and
the VM should be fixed"

5306KCP88FixChangeSet -- stephane ducasse -- 9 June 2003
This changeset fixes some minor stuff related to KCP-0084 and KCP-0085
mainly deprecating a method and moving deprecated method in deprecated
category"