primitiveMillisecondClock usage (lots but why?)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 2 17:22:24 UTC 2003

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:

> Well the issue is the smalltalk code is calling the primitive every 2-3
> milliseconds.
> This is above and beyond the VM calling the millisecond clock for
> internal VM usage.
In the idleloop? I guess there is an interesting (and almost certainly
platform dependent) issue of how long is a good time to sleep each pass
round the loop. IF one has a completely reliable OS mechanism to wake
the vm properly when anything suitable (inpupt event, timer, whatever)
happens then I suppose the sleep time could be a long time. Last time
I looked I think the idleloop sleep was 1millisecond.

tim
Strange OpCodes: IKI: Ignore Keyboard Input