lurking signals in EventSensor

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Jul 3 03:30:32 UTC 2003

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 July 2003 05:33 pm, John M McIntosh wrote:
> > Why, well I suspect, mostly because I've not found it yet, is that
> >   under the right sequence of events the mouse
> > over logic is hunting for cursor movement via say cursorPoint which
> >   calls primMousePt which calls
> > inputSemaphore signal, and stacks LOTS of excess signals on the
> > Semaphore, at which point the
> > io processor loop consumes them. The issue here is LOTS, that this
> > is   reflected in a glitchy pause as we
> > grind though them.
> >
> > However I'll listen to other suggestions.
>
> That's fixable. There are a couple of places in SystemWindow's reframe
> code where it starts using "Sensor cursorPoint" and "Sensor
> anyButtonPressed" (partly in the Rectangle code that does the fast
> framing).

Hmm, that's not so pretty, but the methods should still work, shouldn't they?
Maybe my caveat from the last message is a good idea in the current
design, too: have EventSensor simulate the polling primitives by
remembering the most recent event.  That should be easier on the VM than
using a combination of the primitives.

Lex