pending 64bit version of squeak

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Thu Jul 3 19:23:08 UTC 2003

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Stephen Pair wrote:

> Seriously though, this would be a great thing to have...Squeak might
> even be able to say that it's the first Smalltalk VM. (and probably the
> first open source OO VM) that is 64 bit.  If you do it, make sure that
> an image saved from a 64 bit VM can be loaded into a 32 bit VM
> (providing it fits within 32 bits of address space) and vice versa.

What about variuos Smalltalks (VAST, VW, GemStone/S) for IBM AIX POWER
machines?  I suppose they could be running in some mix of what someone
could call 32- and 64-bit... For that matter, what about Solaris and IRIX,
both of which have some smalltalk or another...

Regards,
Aaron

--
  "if i don't stay true to live and hate, how do i differentiate
              between chasing cream and chasing dreams"  :: atmosphere