pending 64bit version of squeak

Stephen Pair stephen at pairhome.net
Thu Jul 3 19:30:09 UTC 2003

Aaron J Reichow wrote:

>On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Stephen Pair wrote:
>

>>Seriously though, this would be a great thing to have...Squeak might
>>even be able to say that it's the first Smalltalk VM. (and probably the
>>first open source OO VM) that is 64 bit.  If you do it, make sure that
>>an image saved from a 64 bit VM can be loaded into a 32 bit VM
>>(providing it fits within 32 bits of address space) and vice versa.
>>

>What about variuos Smalltalks (VAST, VW, GemStone/S) for IBM AIX POWER
>machines?  I suppose they could be running in some mix of what someone
>could call 32- and 64-bit... For that matter, what about Solaris and IRIX,
>both of which have some smalltalk or another...
>
>Regards,
>Aaron

AFAIK none of those have 64 bit object pointers...which is what I assume
John meant when says 64 bit VM  I believe that is a problem for some
GemStone customers who've had to employ various techniques to limit the
consumption of OOPs (to prevent them from running out).  Also, I've
heard of a few VW customers that keep very large amounts of objects in
memory and approach that 32 bit limitation.

- Stephen