Newbie Questions

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Fri Jul 4 22:19:57 UTC 2003

Am Freitag, 04.07.03 um 19:38 Uhr schrieb Jeff Longland:

> Thanks to everyone for their replies - I've been poking around in the
> dark
> for a few weeks now.  It's really nice to find a helpful, responsive
> community!
>
> Ned - I've never done any work with Smalltalk, but I've used Java, C,
> etc.
> in the past.  I'd like to code Smalltalk directly, but I suppose what
> I've
> been using is the eToys system.  Up to this point, I've been creating
> objects and manipulating them using tiles.  What is the usual
> development
> environment?

The tile-based eToy system is actually aimed at children, but even I
use it for small things. It's so easy and so much fun :-)

Smalltalk is the language underlying all this. To use it, you need to
open a browser. Just start by looking around first.

> Bert - I installed the changes.  Do the changes apply to the penDown
> command - or only TurtleTrails?  Or does penDown belong to
> TurtleTrails?

They are the same. A morph (an object on the screen) can act like a
turtle - go forward, turn, put the pen down, etc. The turtle idea comes
from Logo (another programming system), and somehow the name has stuck
in the code. Normally, we refer to these scribblies as "pen trails".

> I'm not really familiar with Smalltalk and creating forms, etc.  I'd
> prefer
> to continue developing using eToys / tiles for the simple fact that
> I'd like
> to get the snake/rectangle working this afternoon.  Thank you to
> everyone
> for their help, I'm feeling more confident in my exploration of Squeak.
>
> I'm having a small problem at the moment as well - my penDown command
> is no
> longer leaving a trail on top of my rectangle which I created with the
> paint
> tool.  The trail shows up below the rectangle - I had it working at one
> point, but I can't remember quite how.  Ideas?

Use trails in a transparent playfield. on top of your rectangle. I
wonder if this could be considered a bug, too. I'd expect pen trails to
come out on top of the painted background.

-- Bert