"transparent skin" (new user Q)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Jul 7 05:25:18 UTC 2003

On Sunday 06 July 2003 09:45 pm, Alan Kay wrote:
> I think what Nancy needs to know is that you terminate painting
> (and thus get rid of the translucent skin) by clicking on the
> "Keep" button (to keep your drawing) or on the "Toss" button to get
> out without saving your drawing.

Right. But then you can't follow the tutorial as easily.

> The problem is that (at least in my current plugin) the preference
> is set to have the translucent skin cover the entire screen -- and
> this effectively prevents her from going to the next page of the
> tutorial. The tutorial should either be in a flap, or the skin
> should not be full screen. This seems to be a new problem, the skin
> used to not come up full screen.

The preference "unlimitedPaintArea" seems to be on (at least in my
Squeakland image).

And unfortunately, this preference seems to be global, rather than
per-project.

But when it's off, the skin is still too big to hit the buttons.

> Ned's suggestion below will not quite work, in that you would be
> painting *on* the working area itself rather than making a separate
> object to go *in* the working area.

Ah, right.

Sorry to mislead anyone.

--