Developping in Squeak

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Mon Jul 7 16:14:14 UTC 2003

Hi Guillaume

Guillaume Pothier wrote:
> ...I have many questions in my mind, ...
>
> * Writing Smalltalk code.

  As others pointed out StarBrowser could be a good thing to go for.
( http://map1.squeakfoundation.org/sm/packagesbyname )

> * Widgets
> After going through a few tutorials, I wanted to create my own program.
> This is a very simple accounting program that uses a postgreSQL backend,
> and displays informations in lists or tables, and uses basic forms as
> user input.

If you want to do such a thing you'd probably better use the tools you
already know. It is not the main aim of Squeak to do business applications.

 > As I come from the Java world, I started to search "standard
> widgets" in Morphic, such as Lists, Tables, etc., but I did not find
> such old-fashioned components.

Most of them exist. The GUI has been much improved in the past by the
efforts of the MCP team.

 > Do they exist, or is there a preferred
> way to do that kind of thing? I was thinking, maybe for such a
> simplistic program I should stick to MVC? (well, by the way I did not
> even look if there are such widgets in MVC...)

Morphic is easier to understand. See the documentation
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/30 (table of contents of Morphic pages).

Generally Squeak is especially useful for prototyping, for exploring
a problem domain you do not understand already. But on the other side
if you would like to program a simple accounting program (personal
accounting package which reads e.g. quicken files etc.)  that would
be fine as well. There is no such thing on SqueakMap yet.

Regards
Hannes