[ENH] VM tweaks for Islands project ( [cd][er][sm] looks good; one question remaining )

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Mon Jul 7 23:59:06 UTC 2003

The changes look quite reasonable to me; all they do is making some of the primitives a little more flexible with respect to execution from other places (which would break otherwise). The "user flag" in the CMs seems useful for a variety of applications (Islands just being one potential application for this flag). Given the ability to use named primitives for all but the most time-critical primitives, this looks like a reasonable choice (in particular considering that primitives in the range affected have never been used so there is no potential for breaking anything).

The only potential issue I could see is that primitiveStringReplace has a *slightly* different boundary check than the one being in 3.6a VMMaker. It is not clear to me whether the difference is intentional or not and (lacking any history information in the SAR file, sigh...) I can't see whether this was changed by VMMaker or by the Islands changed. In any case, it needs to be sorted out.

Cheers,
  - Andreas

< I'm a bug-fixing machine! >

This post brought to you by the BugFixArchiveViewer, a handy tool that makes it easy to comment on proposed fixes and enhancements for Squeak.  For more information, check out the Web page for the BugFixArchiveViewer project: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3214

< I'm a bug-fixing machine! >