Tutorial #2 (more new user comments)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Jul 8 00:35:47 UTC 2003

On Monday 07 July 2003 12:31 am, Nancy Head wrote:
> Tutorial #2
> (http://www.squeakland.org/project.jsp?/fun_projects/NewHandlesTuto
>rial.002. pr) was so much clearer than #1 that I wished I'd just
> skipped #1.
>
> A couple of points I can make, though...
>
> Sometimes the orange "Navigator" button is referred to as the
> "Navigator bar" (#1) and other times as the "Navigator flap." While
> the two are apparantly synonymous, I think it has potential to
> confuse a new user (particularly an elementary teacher or young
> student).

It's history. The Navigator bar was made into a flap at some point.
The tutorials need to be updated.

> Several screens instruct the user to "command-click" but don't give
> the Win "alt-click." Granted, it could get redundant. Maybe post
> separate tutorials for Win vs. Mac to avoid this? Also, as a more
> frequent user of Win than of Mac, I find it cumbersome to
> "alt-click." Any chance of making this a "right-click," or perhaps
> adding a toggle switch to go into "handles mode" or something where
> a simple "click" on an object will bring up its handles (if not
> showing), as well as hide the handles of any object selected
> previously? When the proposed toggle switch is NOT in "handles
> mode" then "clicks" will no longer show/hide handles. I also
> understand that there may be reasons I don't (yet?) understand why
> this would be impractical or unnecessary.

This may already work. What do your other mouse buttons do for you? On
my Windows system, the middle mouse button brings up the halos.
Though it may be the right mouse button on your system.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com