[ENH][VM] Improved code generation (hopefully ;)

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Jul 8 00:36:09 UTC 2003

In message <005901c344e4$eab97200$8ef7fea9 at atlantis>
          "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> > > PS. What kind of variable name is
> > > "globalStructureBuildMethodHasFoo"??? ;-)
> >
> > Cryptic....
[snip]

> So "foo" refers to "fum", eh? So much for intention-revealing code ;-)))
Seems pretty obvious to me. You just need to remember 'fee-fi-foo-fum'
as in Jack and the Beanstalk. So foo points to fum, fi is the address of
that and fee is the address help in the objectcode relocation table.
Simple, really.

I hope that we're a long way off from finding that CPU trivia is the
determining limit for performance. There's a long way to go before
Squeak is anywhere near VW execution quality.

tim
Useful random insult:- Suffers from Clue Deficit Disorder.