Squeak Install Instructions

Nancy Head head.n at mvumail.mivu.org
Wed Jul 9 19:27:46 UTC 2003

Matej,

The Windows instructions you provide at
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3294 do work (I'm on W2K Pro). Maybe you
could combine (3) and (4) to just say "Download and unzip the file:
Squeak3.5-current-win-full.zip." Do squeak users really need this much help
in downloading a file? Or, are people having trouble with
http://www.squeak.org/download/ because they need
http://squeakland.org/plugin/download.html?

What about adding a note to distinguish between the plugin version vs. the
"full" version, and perhaps placing a link to the squeakland page for
novices?

In my case, I heard about Squeak from an English teacher colleague who heard
Alan Kay speak at a conference. She (rightly) thought it sounded like
something that would interest me. This is ALL the background information I
had, though, before hitting Google to find out more. I easily found both the
Squeakland and Squeak sites, but could have used more clarification to tell
me there was a difference between the download at squeakland.org vs. at
squeak.org, and some information about the difference between the two
downloads. (As a beginner I needed to know that I could create, not just
view, using the plugin version, for instance.)

Nancy