Squeak Install Instructions

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jul 11 00:55:36 UTC 2003

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 10.07.03 um 16:13 Uhr schrieb Dennis Daniels:
>
> > Squeak hasn't been anywhere as easy to install as I had hoped. Two
> > hours later, still not a squeak out of the install. I'm no expert with
> > Linux, though I've been using it as my OS (RH) for about a year now...
> > Chalk it up to user error, sure. But, Squeak should be as easy as
> >
> > apt-get install squeak
> >
> > should be easy if teachers are going to be using it.
>
> Squeak's current license conflicts with Debian, that's why there is no
> official Debian package. Besides, we would need a maintainer for the
> debs. But you are right, and it is the same situation with RedHat RPMs,
> unfortunately.

I have been maintaining the Debs....  I picked them up from Marcus, who
I think got them from Stephen Stafford.  Ian has also started posting a
different set of Debs on his web site, for some reason; my email to him
about it never got an answer.  Anyway, Debian is quite well covered!

The Debian packages are in fact available through apt-get.  You do have
to edit your sources.list, due to the licensing problem Bert mentions.
This is all explained on the "Download for Unix" page on the Swiki,
under the heading "Debian".

Dennis, I am very saddened that you found this confusing, but I am not
sure how to make it clearer.  Any ideas?  One possible point of
confusion is RedHat versus Debian.  If "RH" up there means "RedHat",
then we're barking up the wrong tree and you need to use the RPM's, not
the Debian packages.

IMHO, Squeak install on Linux can be *extremely* easy.  Let's make it
so.

Also, IMHO, the Debian packages make a pretty decent setup.  After
installing the packages, you just run Squeak from the main desktop menu.
 It will make your own image to work in, copied from the most recent
image that you have installed.  This is all based on the nice
"inisqueak" script that Ian has written.  Oh, and of course the cute
Squeak logo Tim Rowledge made, scaled down to stunning rendering in
31x31 grayscale.

Lex  "the Invisible" Spoon