Squeak Install Instructions

Christian Eitner Christian.Eitner at cern.ch
Fri Jul 11 08:05:13 UTC 2003

Hey people,

I run Debian too, although I'm in testing mode, so my glibc is 2.3.1-17 (I needed that for the 2.4 kernel anyway). Surprisingly, it was easy to install at least the 3.4 VM and image by taking Ian Piumarta's RPMs and converting them to debian packages:

fakeroot alien squeak*.rpm

   Of course these deb packages are far from being officially maintained, and most probably they only work by coincidence :-) Still, I didn't run into any dependency problems, and my Swiki image has had a stable run on that configuration for weeks now.
	 BTW, let me just add that I switched from RedHat 7.2 resp. 9 to Debian, and I find Debian's package system to be more mature and stable (I nearly killed my LaTeX distribution yesterday, but was able to recover, which was not possible with RH).

	Cheers,

	Christian