Hidden Information

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel.squeaklist at bluewin.ch
Fri Jul 11 13:42:06 UTC 2003

Ned Konz wrote:

> On Thursday 10 July 2003 08:03 am, Brent Vukmer wrote:
>
>>This feature would be more intuitive, for me at least, if clicking
>>on links within Squeak brought up the Browser instead of the
>>MessageSet window -- and if the Browser acted like a Web browser
>>when handling Squeak links ( history, back button, forward button
>>).
>

> Well, there's already two browsers with back buttons: Scott's Protocol
> Browser (browse protocol) and the StarBrowser.
>
> Maybe Whisker has it too; I haven't used it recently.

But AFAIK it is not closely integrated with the active link functions in
the comments.

However at the moment just new browsers are openend; you mimick the
'back function' just by closing them thereafter. Of course the desktop
get's cluttered a bit.

As a whole I like to document my code with these links. It really helps
me to figure out more quickly what I my intentions were when looking at
some code I wrote a year ago. Most often there are some basic classes
which serve as some kind of 'root' to understand the net of objects one
has built. If I look at code I've written myself some time ago I have
even forgot which were this basic classes. These links help me to find
out more quickly about may original design intentions. This is something
which allways asthonishes me. The Smalltalk language and  the IDE help
to quickly fix something you have written a long time ago.

In this context I like the MCP and KCP efforts very much because their
actions shed light on basic classes which were difficult to understand
so far.

Hannes