HashBits, a lazy way

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Fri Jul 11 17:13:02 UTC 2003

Ned Konz <ned at bike-nomad.com> wrote:

> In the case of symbols, we could skip the test if we could quickly
> tell if something were a symbol. I don't know if we have a flag bit
> for these. We could always compute the hash for symbols.
Since newly created Symbols are interned and that involves finding a
hash to work out where to put them in the tables, I rather suspect it is
a non-issue.

I would point out that I was rather surprised to see a large number of
Objects in the Symbol class var 'SymbolTable'. Surely just Symbols ought
to be in there? Is this some sideffect of WeakArray?

tim
Strange OpCodes: WAF: Warn After the Fact