HashBits, a lazy way

Chris Muller afunkyobject at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 11 22:21:32 UTC 2003

I'm so glad the topic of identityHash has come up again among the VM geniuses!
I had asked a question about it back in March but got no replies.  There is
behavior related to becomeForward: where identityHash of the target object is
mutated.  For Magma, I desperately would like to avoid this behavior because
otherwise you can't safely store method-selector Symbols in the database unless
you specify a ReadStrategy to your session that forces them to never be able to
be proxied.  So you end up having to tell your MagmaSession everywhere in your
model (e.g., class and variable-name) that references a Symbol.  Cumbersome.

To demonstrate, see how using becomeForward: freezes your image.  To me, this
is a Squeak bug.

  "Lock up this image."
  String new becomeForward: #size

Please, if we can't change the existing behavior, can we at least make it
optional?  For example, have becomeForward: call "self
becomeFoward:copyHashBits: true" so that I can then use
"becomeForward:copyHashBits: false"?

There's more detail in my original message:

  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2003-March/055383.html

Now that everyone is thinking about this again, would someone please discuss
this with me?

Very appreciative,
  Chris