Squat progress 12 July 2003

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sun Jul 13 01:44:09 UTC 2003

Hi PhiHo--

> > I can now swap out compiled methods and method dictionaries on
> > demand, then automatically and seamlessly swap them back in from an
> > update server when messages requiring them are sent.
>
> What's the granularity that can be swapped?

	It works on both per-method and per-method-dictionary bases.

> How long does [the compile method removal process take] ?

	It goes at about fifty classes per second.

> What is the image size now?

	My current snapshot is 227KB, with the compilation classes in but some
of their methods removed. The smallest snapshot I've made to date is
205KB, by removing the compilation classes completely. I expect to reach
99KB. Right now I'm analyzing the snapshot to see which methods
absolutely need to exist at startup, as opposed to being swapped in.

> > I have a demo where I open a remote browser on a headless
> > snapshot that has had all the compilation and decompilation support
> > removed, then, as I browse around, some of it gets swapped back in.
> > I plan to make a short movie of this.
>
> What can be shown from such a movie?

	It will make for a more compelling description than text. :)  I think
some will understand more clearly what the system can do.

> > I also have a design for writing snapshots to a socket, allowing the
> > removal of all filesystem support.
>
> Does it require a 'socket scientist' to save/use those
> snapshot ;-)

	No, it'll feel just like before.

	thanks,

-C