UI evaluations and data collection

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Mon Jul 14 13:54:07 UTC 2003

On Monday 14 July 2003 06:34 am, Ned Konz wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2003 04:41 am, Bilal Ahmed wrote:
> > Is anyone aware of ways to evaluate user interfaces and do
> > ethnographic data collection in Squeak? I would ideally like to
> > give an application to a user and somehow collect data on how the
> > user found his/her way around the application (things like
> > reaction times, etc).
> > Thanks,
>
> You'd have to instrument your application.

Though we do have the EventRecorder, which grabs raw mouse/keyboard
events.

If you've written the application, you can write a stream of
timestamps and event descriptions when you present different parts of
the UI to the user.

You can install a global keyboard and/or mouse listener too, and that
listener will get to look at copies of all the events.

So you could do:

ActiveHand addKeyboardListener: someObject.
ActiveHand addMouseListener: someObject.

And then someObject would be sent #handleListenEvent: for every mouse
and keyboard event.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com