Flexible squeak - a call for extension mechanisms

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Mon Jul 14 15:12:49 UTC 2003

> As we near the release of 3.6, and enter the planning stage
> for 3.7, I'd like to offer a topic for rants, questions,
> ideas, designs and maybe even code, in the hope some people
> will find it useful/interesting enough to work on for 3.6.
>
> The thing is that Squeak used to be a single system -
> whatever SqC released. But it is fast becoming a flexible
> combination of a platform (the image) that the community
> produces as a whole through the harvesting process, and a sea
> of packages cataloged by SM.

I'd really like a dirt-simple, easy, automated way to build an image to
someone else's system specs.

By "system specs", I mean something pretty coarse-grained:
 * Image version
 * Last update #
 * Installed SM package-versions

I'd like this to be built into the "mail to list" functionality, so that
[BUG][FIX][ENH] posts automatically have a system.specs file attached.