Flexible squeak - a call for extension mechanisms

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Mon Jul 14 16:24:10 UTC 2003

[keymaps, chaining in DrScheme]
Hmm, I read the urls given, but having no experience with it, and it
being a little sparse, I'm not sure I understood what I was reading, and
definitely didn't get a sense of what it's like to use. Can you explain
this a little?

[menus are already extensible and rearrangable]
What do you mean? that they can be extended in runtime? I know, that's
what the RB does, for example. The current inflexibility I am talking
about comes from the way they are generated and used - this needs to
already have a place where applications can register extra action,
without modifying image code. Dynamic menus do this in a very specific
way for one menu, the question, in my mind, is how to generalize it
properly to the many menus that should be dynamically extendible...

Daniel