Flexible squeak - a call for extension mechanisms

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Jul 15 17:04:58 UTC 2003

Am Dienstag, 15.07.03 um 17:30 Uhr schrieb Bijan Parsia:

> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Lex Spoon wrote:

I think Lex is right in that we should be hesitant about careless
introduction of useless preferences. OTOH, flexibility is nice, I
should be able to specify keybindings (for example) if I want to. So
installing a hook is okay, but actually using it in place of the
defaults might very well be left to an extension. And there should be a
way of disabling the customizations with one click.

It's a delicate matter, and few people are aware of these issues. See
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/uibook/chapters/fog0000000059.html for a
good laugh. Here's something aimed at free-software UI
http://mpt.phrasewise.com/2002/04/13, see here, too:
http://mpt.phrasewise.com/discuss/msgReader$182 . And a rebuttal to
this at http://www106.pair.com/rhp/free-software-ui.html

We certainly could need a Squeak UI czar ;-)

-- Bert