Flexible squeak - a call for extension mechanisms

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Jul 16 01:19:50 UTC 2003

Bijan Parsia <bparsia at email.unc.edu> wrote:
	Strawman. Can you imagine if people hacked keycommands in ResEdit or
	bought macro packages like QuickKeys, OneClick, KeySequencer, etc.? Oh
	wait, they like it.

Speaking as someone who *has* hacked Macintosh applications using ResEdit
to add/change/remove key bindings for menu items,
the only reason I've ever done it is to fix *@#%!$#$! applications
that didn't follow the Apple guidelines (like the program where
Cmd-Q meant "query", not "quit", or the program where Cmd-W meant
save (=write) file, not close window, or ...).   The number of times
I've typed Cmd-Q at Squeak and been seriously annoyed at it not meaning
what it usually means...

On the other hand, I use an Emacs clone all the time, and some of my
keybindings would puzzle the average Emacser.

If I can't even agree with myself about key customisation, we're not going
to get any general consensus any time soon.

I'd just like to make two points about key (or menu) customisation:

(1) whatever is the easiest way for someone to customise keys and/or
menus, it should ensure that the on-line help is customised to match.
On-line help that's wrong is worse than no on-line help.

(2) there should be any easy way to switch back to "standard" bindings
and it should be as easy as possible to find out what that way is.