nw install

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Jul 17 22:08:21 UTC 2003

"Nancy Head" <head.n at mvumail.mivu.org> wrote:
> Can squeak be installed on a school network (Novell) where students do not
> have write permissions on the hard drive (Macs: 9.x or OS X)? Can students
> save files to their own network shares?

Sure. No problem AFAICT.

> My understanding is that the plugin version cannot do this.

I am not too familiar with what you can and can't do with the plugin
version - but you can definitely do this with Squeak in general. Squeak
is actually just a single executable and really don't need to be
"installed" in any special way, just run it.

I bet a student could "install" a full Squeak on his/her network share
(just by putting the Squeak files there and simply run it all from there
even without a central install.

What kind of work are the students meant to do? eToys? Young students?
Or Smalltalk programming?

> Thanks,
>
> Nancy

regards. Göran