squeak linux woes

Jack Johnson fragment at nas.com
Thu Jul 17 21:44:26 UTC 2003

Brent Vukmer wrote:
> I have been wondering the same thing.  Can some kind of magic juju
> happen with /etc/ld.so.conf and ldconfig where somehow we point to
> glibc-2.3 for Squeak, without screwing up the rest of the Red Hat
> system?

(not speaking from direct experience with these binaries)

Squeak should build just fine on a glibc-2.2 system (and subsequently
run on a glibc-2.3 system, too), but it sounds like with the current
binaries you're out of luck unless you upgrade (which I'm guessing you
don't want to do).

Maybe we should be doing static binaries of the Squeak VM?  Or at least
a glibc-2.1 set (so a larger set of Linux users with older distributions
can use it, either directly or by installing glibc-compat), as well as
the latest-and-greatest glibc-2.3?

I cast my vote for the './configure && make && make install' routine,
and doing as much as possible to make sure it doesn't break on the
platform of choice.

-Jack