squeak linux woes

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Jul 17 21:58:28 UTC 2003

Am Donnerstag, 17.07.03 um 23:01 Uhr schrieb David Farber:

> I still can't get squeak 3.4 to install on my RedHat 7.x system. If I
> use either the RPMs or the tarballs, when I try to run squeak, I get
> the same error: "/usr/local/bin/squeak: /lib/i686/libc.so.6: version
> `GLIBC_2.3' not found (required by /usr/local/bin/squeak)".
>
> glibc-2.2.4 is what is installed on my machine. I figured that
> installing "manually" via the tarballs would sort all this stuff out,
> but obviously it didn't. Does anyone know if it is possible to install
> squeak 3.4 in a glibc-2.2 system?

Of course it is possible. The problem is that it is impractical to
provide binaries for each and every old system.

But, it is really easy to compile your own Squeak. Just download the
source tarball
(http://www-sor.inria.fr/~piumarta/squeak/unix/release/Squeak-3.4-
1.src.tar.gz) and follow the instructions inside. This gives you a
binary, and from that point on the installation is the same like the
binary version.

Question: Does someone know a way to compile a binary that is not tied
to a specific GLIBC version? Squeak does not actually use anything
fancy from these newer versions, it's just the linker who thinks we
would. That would allow us to create binaries that work across a wider
range of machines.

-- Bert