Squat progress 17 July 2003: snapshot work finished, VM work started

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Fri Jul 18 23:22:23 UTC 2003

Hi--

	Today I unloaded all the compiled methods which hadn't been run since
just before the previous snapshot, made a snapshot, and compressed it
with bz2. I added a bz2 decompressor to the virtual machine, and
successfully ran the snapshot. The snapshot size on disk is 93,352 bytes
("91 KB"). I consider the snapshot part of the project finished,
although I'm sure a few more bytes could be eked out by doing symbol
compression, etc. (I'm not going to bother, though, since they make
using the snapshot significantly less pleasant).

	There is no accurate space analysis for this snapshot, since the act of
making one would change the size of the snapshot significantly. :)  A
space analyzer that ran from a simulator would be useful. When the
snapshot is decompressed into RAM, and a space analysis is printed, the
space analysis at http://netjam.org/squat/space2.txt is accurate. In
summary, the 91 KB file yields a 280 KB object memory, and the system is
arbitrarily extensible from there.

	Now I'm working on making the smallest possible virtual machine that
will run this snapshot.

	thanks,

-C

--