mulithreaded?

Craig Latta craig at netjam.org
Sat Jul 19 21:55:43 UTC 2003

Hi Martin--

	I wrote a plugin that uses POSIX threads. I allocate all the stuff that
the threads care about on the heap, then store the addresses in
ByteArrays that my Smalltalk objects hold onto. A Smalltalk object can
then invoke primitives which use those addresses to manipulate the
threads. Smalltalk processes are synchronized with host threads via
Smalltalk semaphores, which the interpreter proxy can signal.

	Extending the virtual machine to use multiple host threads is no
problem at all.

-C

p.s.	The only platform that can't deal with threads is Risc-OS. I look
forward to the day when we are liberated from it (i.e., when Tim stops
using it :) or when the POSIX project there is done.

--
Craig Latta
http://netjam.org/resume
craig at netjam.org