[VM] HashBits, a lazy way

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sun Jul 20 00:19:14 UTC 2003

John,

> gcc version is 2.95.2
> -g -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer

What about -O3 -mpentium and -funroll-loops? Those are included in my builds
by default (though I'm not certain if it makes any big difference).

> We are comparing AHC changes versus your localization
> changes. Versus say a interp.c that has 20+ t1,t2,... in it...
> Don't know if the 10% you talk about is AHC(sp)
> CGeneratorEnhancements-ajh.1.cs versus yours?
> or to a VM that didn't have the change...

My comparison was based on a pure VMMaker package as you get it from
SqueakMap. All of my comparisons are against this - I don't know if it
includes the changes you are talking about.

Which reminds me: The thing you said about "headerTypeBytes" or so having an
off-by-one in the C indexing - is this bug in the VMMaker package?

> Sure declare JMMWhy float as a global, set to zero, then inspect
> this below.

Err ... I don't get it. You aren't measuring anything here. Shouldn't a
benchmark look somewhere along the lines of:
  Time millisecondsToRun:[
	n timesRepeat: [
		1 asFloat. 1 asFloat. 1 asFloat. 1 asFloat. 1 asFloat.
		1 asFloat. 1 asFloat. 1 asFloat. 1 asFloat. 1 asFloat.
	].
  ].

What (and how) are you measuring with the forked process?

Cheers,
  - Andreas