VM for Qtopia Zaurus and iPAQ (hopefully)

Lars Dornheim Lars.Dornheim at Student.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Sun Jul 20 17:33:40 UTC 2003

Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org wrote:
>   Hello,
>
>   I updated the VM for SL- series Zaurus, and thanks to Lars Dornheim,
> (hopefully) a working version of VM for Qtopia/iPAQ.
>
>   If you have SL-C750 or SL-C760, which I know some of you do, now you
> can project the screen content via a CF card type video dongle called
> CFXGA
> (http://www.iodata.jp/prod/multimedia/game/2003/cfxga/index.htm).  Now
> all you have to carry around to do a presentation from Squeak is bring
> this small PDA and the VGA dongle.  This is pretty cool, actually.
>
>   The iPAQ version is not tested.  If you can try it out, let me know
> how it goes.
>
>   http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/zaurus/

Hi Yoshiki.

I have tested the binary the package on your site on the iPAQ I used for
the port (iPAQ 3870 running Familiar Linux with OPIE 7.0-rc1).

The display is working well, also the stylus with the middle and right
mouse button emulation via the hardware keys. Fullscreen (via the
-fullscreen command line option) is also working.

But there were problems with the portrait/landscape switching. I guess,
you changed something in the code, that landscape displaying routines are
used whenever display width is greater than display height. But that does
not work properly for the iPAQ since width and height will not be switched
when switching portrait/landscape in OPIE or when using "-landscape" as
command line parameter. So using "-landscape" does not change anything at
the moment and if one activates the software keyboard, the width of
Squeak's display area becomes greater than the height and so the landscape
display mode is used from that moment.

Furthermore the software keyboard is not working. Perhaps you changed
something in the "default:" part of the big switch statement in
translateCode in sqQPEWindow.cpp.

And the last issue I noticed was that although I declared files with
suffix "image" as plain text, the file selector at the start does not
recognize "image" files.

All the stuff mentioned above is working in my version, so perhaps
unfortunately the merging with your sources broke something. But I cannot
say, why it is, because the source package on your site does not contain
any of the iPAQ related stuff. So one cannot build out of it the iPAQ
version, it seems. Does you have an extra source package for the iPAQ
version or did I miss something?

Lars