[FIX] urlWithPassword-ls (tests wrong?)

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Mon Jul 21 09:40:41 UTC 2003

The test does not look right to me. I have not looked at the original
changeset, maybe it is still correct.

According to the RFC, as soon as a scheme like "ftp:" is in an URL,
this constitutes an absolute location. This means that "ftp:xyz" would
be equivalent to "ftp://xyz/". The problem is that older browsers did
that wrong. It's been corrected for a while, though,  in Mozilla at
least.

 From http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2396.html

    "<scheme>:<scheme-specific-part>

    An absolute URI contains the name of the scheme being used (<scheme>)
    followed by a colon (":") and then a string (the <scheme-specific-
    part>) whose interpretation depends on the scheme.
    [...]
    Relative URI references are distinguished from absolute URI in that
    they do not begin with a scheme name. "

Am Montag, 21.07.03 um 11:03 Uhr schrieb marcus at ira.uka.de:

> Ok, I added the tests to the baseimage tests package.
> Problem: after filing in your urlWithPassword-ls changeset, I get two
> failing tests:
>
> testRelativeFTP2
>
>         baseUrl _ 'ftp://somewhere/some/dir/?query#fragment' asUrl.
>         url _ baseUrl newFromRelativeText: 'ftp:xyz'.
>
>         self assert: url toText =  'ftp://somewhere/some/dir/xyz'.
>

> url toText is  'ftp://somewhere/some/dir//xyz'
>

> testRelativeHTTP
>

>         baseUrl _ 'http://some.where/some/dir?query1#fragment1' asUrl.
>         url _ baseUrl newFromRelativeText:
> '../another/dir/?query2#fragment2'.
>
>         self assert: url toText =
> 'http://some.where/another/dir/?query2#fragment2'.
>

> Url toText is  'http://some.where/some/another/dir/?query2#fragment2'

> < I'm a bug-fixing machine! >
>
> This post brought to you by the BugFixArchiveViewer, a handy tool that
> makes it easy to comment on proposed fixes and enhancements for Squeak.
> For more information, check out the Web page for the
> BugFixArchiveViewer
> project: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3214
>
> < I'm a bug-fixing machine! >

-- Bert