[KCP] SystemChangeNotifications: Current state and some code

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Mon Jul 21 15:52:14 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, at 02:51  AM, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> [class names]
> I proposed "Code" instead of "System" as being much specific and
> intention revealing, though "code" isn't a very precise term in
> Smalltalk.

I prefer "System" because it matches the other class names used else
where in the image: SystemDictionary, SystemNavigation, SystemOrganizer
and SystemVersion all have to do with code.

It does seem that "System" is used a little more broadly than if it
meant "the infrastructure which allows the system to run." SystemWindow
doesn't quite belong, for example, and the System-* class categories
contain a few more classes than are necessary for the functioning of
the system.

In general, though, that's what "System" does means, and so I favour
SystemNotifier and SystemModified over CodeNotifier and CodeModified.
The names of the actual events could be simplified though, as Brent
suggested.

Colin