email syntax validation needed

Stoffel, Andrew andrew.stoffel at jenzabar.net
Tue Jul 22 13:20:32 UTC 2003

Nevin Pratt wrote:

> I thought 'nslookup' and 'dig' just did DNS checks, no?
> I thought the  only difference between Squeak's NetNameResolver
> class and them is that NetNameResolver uses the default DNS machines
> defined on the host machine, whereas with 'dig' (and I think
> 'nslookup' as well) allow you to specify which machine you want to
> use for the DNS lookup.

Hmmm... what OS are you using ? Using nslookup
(the one included with Cygwin) on Windows 2000 Pro
looking up sbcglobal.net I get:

	"can't find sbcglobal.net: Server failed"

so it's not necessarily a Squeak issue. And OSProcess
probably wouldn't help.

If, in nslookup I do a:

	set type=any

first then it tells me all about those MX records.

But looking at NetNameResolver I don't see a way of telling
it what type of DNS record to retrieve, just the address and
a timeout value.

Of course, I could be wrong... but maybe someone needs to
change NetNameResolver to handle more than one type of
DNS record ? Or maybe this is just a Windows "feature"
and it works fine elsewhere... ?

-Andy-