email syntax validation needed

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Tue Jul 22 17:25:31 UTC 2003

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 22.07.03 um 17:04 Uhr schrieb Ned Konz:
>
>> On Tuesday 22 July 2003 06:38 am, Stoffel, Andrew wrote:
>>
>>> Of course, I could be wrong... but maybe someone needs to
>>> change NetNameResolver to handle more than one type of
>>> DNS record ? Or maybe this is just a Windows "feature"
>>> and it works fine elsewhere... ?
>>

>> In Unix we're just returning the first address from gethostbyname().
>>
>> There have been complaints about this from people with multi-homed or
>> improperly set up machines.
>

> I posted an FFI interface to gethostbyname() several years ago:
>
>     http://swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes/512.html
>
> And Luciano posted a DNS client written in Squeak recently:
>
>     http://swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes/3902.html
>
> Of course, "sbcglobal.net" does not actually have an IP address. So
> this is not a Squeak problem.
>
> -- Bert

I can send email to folks with an "@sbcglobal.net" domain portion of
their email address.  So, at least for email purposes, 'sbcglobal.net'
certainly does get routed to a particular IP.

Also, go to this URL, and enter "sbcglobal.net" on the 'Name/Number:'
line, and it will get a hit:

   http://www2.hunter.com/~skh/scripts/dnslookup.html

It appears to me that the issue is that, as Andy Stoffel mentions, there
are different *types* of DNS records.  'sbcglobal.net.' apparantly has
valid MX records associated with it for email purposes (and hence, an IP
address associated with it for email purposes).  And there is no way to
tell 'NetNameResolver' which type of records you wish to query for.  So
yes, I consider this to be a Squeak problem.

Nevin

--
Nevin Pratt
Bountiful Baby