Lightweight Install?

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Tue Jul 22 19:49:36 UTC 2003

Am Dienstag, 22.07.03 um 19:00 Uhr schrieb Jack Johnson:

> Hi gang,
>
> I'm looking for options for an extremely lightweight install on, say,
> a Pentium 75 with about 32MB of RAM:
>
>  - Win9x minimal install?
>  - Linux minimal install?
>  - DOS + DOS Squeak?
>
> It would be nice to use an entirely free solution, something like
> Linux or FreeDOS or ReactOS (which probably isn't up to snuff yet).
>
> Any suggestions?

Linux should work very well. You still need X11, but no X apps at all
[1]. Well, xterm and a twm perhaps, but that's about it. You should use
the latest Squeak VM because it gets ever more efficient than older VMs
[2]. Then look for some small image, perhaps even an MVC one. Or just
try any image and open an MVC project to evaluate the speed difference.
32 MB is actually plenty of space [3] :-)

-- Bert

[1] What's the state of the framebuffer driver? The 3.5devel VM has
modular display support so this could be made a reality now,

[2] Maybe there is even a working Jitter VM somewhere? Don't think so.

[3] Nobody needs more than 640K, ever, right?