Lightweight Install?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Jul 22 20:41:44 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 22 July 2003 03:21 pm, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
> Andreas Raab wrote:
> > The Windows/Linux VMs are comparable (hey, it's the same
> > processor ;) and since Squeak runs very well in both environments
> > it's totally your pick. If the /dev/fb stuff works (I haven't
> > heard about it in a while) this would be

> What is /dev/fb ?

Direct access to the framebuffer memory.

But that's only half the problem; the other is getting proper I/O
events into Squeak. So you could read from gpm, or from /dev/mouse,
and from the tty, etc. for mouse and keyboard input.

There is the DirectFB library which ties all this together.
http://directfb.org

Andreas' suggestion of SDL (http://www.libsdl.org) also makes sense,
as it standardizes the IO channel, the display, and the audio device.

See also:
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/2437

--
Ned Konz