[ANN] Monticello Versioning

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Wed Jul 23 16:38:29 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 08:54  AM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> Yes, I was just thinking the other day that we needed to add the
> ability to create a change set as a diff between two versions...
> unless it's already there.  Can't be too hard to do, I don't think.

Yeah, not too hard. We already diff two snapshots to produce a patch.
Given a patch, it's a Small Matter of Programming to turn it into a
ChangeSet.

More useful though, would be to create a file format for Monticello
patches, one which includes its ancestry in the same way that a Version
records a snapshot's ancestry. That way we can safely apply the patch
to arbitrary versions of a package.

Colin