BFAV email prefix?

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin at texoma.net
Wed Jul 23 19:36:55 UTC 2003

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 23.07.03 um 19:09 Uhr schrieb Jimmie Houchin:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been creating multiple folders/mailboxes for my Squeak list
>> reading. That way I can keep up better with current conversations.
>>
>> I have one for each [ENH] OR [GOODIE], [BUG] OR [FIX], and squeak-dev
>> (for all else).
>>
>> I am seeing    < I'm a bug-fixing machine! >    messages with [ENH],
>> [FIX], [BUG][FIX] as Subject prefixes.
>>
>> Would it be unreasonable to have the BFAV prefix its messages with a
>> [BFAV] or [BFAVg] (g=generated) Subject prefix or some such for its
>> generated messages?
>
> Yes, it would be unreasonable because everyone would see it. It would be
> better to add a custom header field, like "X-Generator: Squeak-BFAV" or
> the like. This can easily be used for filtering but won't add to the
> clutter on the subject line for others.
>
> -- Bert

Correct. However it is also true for every other subject prefix.
I have no problem with a custom header instead.
Do replies include the custom headers?

In general would potentially be more interested in a human response to
the generated message than possibly the original message.

A seperate mailing list doesn't require a Subject prefix either.
This would also allow only interested parties getting such mail.

I very much like what the BFAV is enabling in the community. But I know
many people are busy (who isn't) and many get bogged down in the number
of messages. A few busy bees can generate many, many BFAV messages.
Which can make the list appear more overwhelming than it truly is.

I really like the seperate list idea the best for either generated type
emails and/or possibly non-discussion/informational type of messages.
   (does not exclude custom header)
It addresses other areas also, web interfaces, archives, etc.
But,... not without community agreement. :)

Thanks for your input. That's why I put it out there. Other people see
things I don't.

Jimmie Houchin