squeak linux woes

Ted Wright batlist at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 23 20:25:53 UTC 2003

Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>I see. And Squeak does build fine without X. That's being taken care of in the configure script.

It's more a question of "Would a 'normal' user want to build without X?".
The "BuildRequires" is ambiguous, but I would leave it in to notify people
that a 'normal' build of Squeak is going to make use of the X libraries.

>I just listed the libs for now. I build an RPM on a friend's SuSE 8.2 which uses gcc 3.3. You find this and the src RPM at
>
>    http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/squeak/RPMS/

I tried these, and like your earlier RPMS, it installs and runs on Red Hat 9,
but will not build due to the "broken pipe" problem.

One of the recommended workarounds for the "broken pipe" problem is to use
a "BuildRoot" directive in the spec file. This does allow it to build, but it has the
same "VM locks up after a few second" problem as if it were built without the
GCC 3.2 patch.

There are other good reasons to use a BuildRoot directive. Without it, the process
of building the binary RPM from the source RPM actually replaces files from any
previously installed version of Squeak. Rebuilding an RPM should not affect any
system files. This problem also prevents rebuilding the RPM as a non-root user,
which is recommended so that a mistake in a spec file doesn't wipe out your whole
system (it happened to me once).

The spec files I posted earlier will make RPMS that build and run properly on Red
Hat 8 and 9 (and 7.3 if you delete the references to the old compiler), but they require
the old compiler.

>It does not seem like a gcc problem to me, since it worked on SuSE. I noted, though, that they have a different RPM version (there is no rpmbuild command).

The "broken pipe" error doesn't seem like a gcc problem to me either (since adding
the "BuildRoot" directive fixes it), but the "VM locks up after a few second" problem
that happens after adding a BuildRoot may be gcc related. Maybe it has something
to do with the gcc options or other stuff picked up during the configure process.

Ted