Extending FileList with CrLf

Tom Rushworth tbr at mannynkapy.net
Wed Jul 23 20:35:38 UTC 2003

Hi all,

On Wed, Jul 23, 2003 at 09:18:12PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 23.07.03 um 19:39 Uhr schrieb Andreas Raab:
>
> >Hi Daniel,
> >
> >Okay I give up. There is no chance I can convince you and I can see
> >that the
> >discussion will have no results anyway except from reinforcing existing
> >preconceptions.
>
> Seems to me like we need to vote on that? So far, 7 people have
> participitated in this thread. As far as I can tell the only one happy

Ok, so I'll chime in with my Cdn$0.02.

There's an old design principle that goes something like:

        Be liberal in what you accept, strict in what you generate.

If we chose to use that as a guide, then the best way to go would be
to have the "all singing, all dancing, convert anything to a reasonable
string of LFs" applied to reading files opened as text.  That's the
"liberal" part.  For the strict part, on writing a text file we
should generate either:

   a) the OS standard, or
   b) the Squeak standard.

If we have liberal input, there is no point to (b), so my vote is for
option (a).

To sum up, I think liberal input and OS standard output as the default
for text files makes sense.  I you need something different, by all
means include some switches and knobs to change it, but let this be
the default, so users who just want to operate on text without
worrying about how the lines are delimited can do so.

--
Tom Rushworth