squeak linux woes

Bert Freudenberg bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de
Wed Jul 23 23:31:41 UTC 2003

Am Mittwoch, 23.07.03 um 22:25 Uhr schrieb Ted Wright:

> Bert Freudenberg <bert at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de> wrote:
>> I see. And Squeak does build fine without X. That's being taken care
>> of in the configure script.
>
> It's more a question of "Would a 'normal' user want to build without
> X?".
> The "BuildRequires" is ambiguous, but I would leave it in to notify
> people
> that a 'normal' build of Squeak is going to make use of the X
> libraries.

I guess you are right ;^)

>> I just listed the libs for now. I build an RPM on a friend's SuSE 8.2
>> which uses gcc 3.3. You find this and the src RPM at
>>
>>    http://isgwww.cs.uni-magdeburg.de/~bert/squeak/RPMS/
>
> I tried these, and like your earlier RPMS, it installs and runs on Red
> Hat 9,
> but will not build due to the "broken pipe" problem.
>
> One of the recommended workarounds for the "broken pipe" problem is to
> use
> a "BuildRoot" directive in the spec file. This does allow it to build,
> but it has the
> same "VM locks up after a few second" problem as if it were built
> without the
> GCC 3.2 patch.
> [snip]

I see. Thanks for the explanation! I'll add the BuildRoot and try
again, perhaps tomorrow.

Although I'd be very much surprised if the build location has really
anything to do with the lockup. Are you absolutely positively sure the
install is not picking up stray files from an older build somewhere? ;-)

If not, the only guess I have is that your box is still somewhat
different then the Suse box I built these on. Could you tell me exactly
your gcc and glibc version? And what is the contents of the generated
BUILD/Squeak-3.4-1/bld/config.h?

-- Bert