[ANN] Monticello Versioning

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Thu Jul 24 00:16:03 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 04:46  PM, Julian Fitzell wrote:

> I thought you could only create a version from the current state of
> your image?  Oh, no... you're creating a new version first and then
> applying that version to the image?  Anyway, clearly you shouldn't be
> able to commit (or create or whatever we're calling it) a version that
> can't actually exist in an image.

No, that's right. You only create a version from the image. Which is
why inconsistent snapshots resulting from four-way merges won't be much
of a problem in practice. They can't be loaded into the image, so no
version can be based on them.

I'm not against four-way  merges, I'm just noting a possible
failure-case we'll have to handle gracefully.

Colin