BFAV email prefix?

Brent Vukmer bvukmer at blackboard.com
Thu Jul 24 14:06:52 UTC 2003

Guys, it's like you're reading my mind (or the BFAV Swiki pages... :) )
Here's a fairly detailed response:

[ BFAV noise on squeak-dev ]

I really want to get the BFAV traffic onto a separate
"bug-fixes-archive" list on squeakfoundation.org, soon! I need Goran's
help setting that up on the squeakfoundation server.

[ BFAV + bug reports + posting updates ]

I really want to make the BFAV cover the whole process, from creating a
bug report to posting an update to the FTP server.  The BFAV will have a
tabs for "unreviewed", "reviewed", "approved" and "updates" and users
will be able to drag-and-drop posts from one tab to the next, with the
appropriate side-effects.

I have put the beginnings of bug-report creation functionality into the
CommentNotePad.  I need to enhance the CommentNotePad so that a bug
report has all the required info (VM version, image version, installed
SM packages, etc.).  As far as viewing bugs goes, you should be able to
point the BFAV at http://swiki.gsug.org/sqbugs right now.

I'm not interested in building a web interface for creating bug reports;
volunteers are welcome!

[ Bug Fixes Archive Server ]

The BugFixArchive-Model package is very close to being able to do this,
as Daniel pointed out.  I'm going to look at the code that Bert's image
is using and include the functionality that I don't have yet.  The new
Bug Fixes Archive server will parse the canonical .mbox file ( the one
available for download from squeakfoundation.org ) into individual .txt
files.  We will use Apache to serve up the static .txt files.  BTW, for
the near term, I'm going to continue to use SMTP to populate the
archive. I've thought seriously about using other means -- for example,
doing an HTTP POST -- but mail is very simple and robust, and I think
it's best to stick with it for now.

I'm not interested in building a web interface to display the archive's
contents a la http://swiki.gsug.org/sqfixes ; volunteers are welcome!

[ Client-Server/Database ]

I like keeping the queries local.  In a sense, the local BugFixArchive
object *is* a database, in that it has fairly extensive sorting/querying
capabilities, and we can always add more.  I also really like that the
BFAV creates a local repository with all of the .txt files.  If the Bug
Fixes Archive server goes down, I still have my local repository to work
with.  I'm really interested to find out how much this off-line
capability matters to other people...

I've thought about using Magma, actually.  I'd want to keep the local
repository synced with the server repository, for working offline, and I
would want the BFAV user to not have to any work to administer the Magma
database.

[ Package-Specific Archive ]

The BugFixArchive-Model package already supports this; you can point a
BugFixArchive object at whatever update URL you choose.
I need to do a little more work to support posting to a package-specific
archive.