[ANN] Monticello Versioning

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Jul 24 16:32:16 UTC 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> What's one to do? when an mcv package is installed, or first modified in
> the image, it should automatically appear in the workingCopy browser,
> and a pristine copy saved in the repository. This gives anyone that
> installed the package an official release to reference.

If you load an mcv package, it does appear in the working copy browser.
The problem is that you were loading it is a .st file.

There's no need to save a pristine copy "in the repository" - presumably
you were loading it from some repository anyway.  This may not be clear,
but you can have multiple repositories defined; when looking for a
version, Monticello will search through all of them.

Some kind of a version cache would be useful for performance reasons,
though.

> If MC already does this, then my only complaint is that Monticello (and
> every other package) should be packaged using Monticello ;-)

We'll get there :).

> What is the state of the current Monticello as a deployment format? with
> regards to a minimal installer package to be included with SM and such.

Well, I guess the question is what should be in that minimal package.
Which features do you leave out?  You could drop the UI but that's not
much code anyway... ditto merging.  Everything else you pretty much need
just to load an mcv file.

There is the MCBootstrapLoader class, which is a single class that can get
a Monticello.mcv file loaded well enough to then properly load other mcv
files.  But you don't want to be using this as your SM installer.

Avi