[ANN] Monticello Versioning

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Thu Jul 24 16:39:38 UTC 2003

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Daniel Vainsencher wrote:

> Thinking about the same process issues, how about allowing a package
> file to optionally include a publically accessible "release url". This
> would declare the version a publically available reference point, so
> patches against it would be reasonable. Of course it doesn't imply
> "stable releases"ness, but stable releases could boast official urls.

Yeah, I've thought about something like this too - it certainly might end
up being a useful piece of info for versions to be able to carry around.

For practical purposes, however, there will probably be a single directory
online somewhere that is the reference repository for a particular
package; as long as people have this added to their repository list, the
specific URLs are unnecessary. (A high priority for me is to add HTTP
repository support, probably using GET/PUT to be compatible with WebDAV.
The only thing I need to figure out for a first attempt is how to deal
with getting a directory listing...)

Release URLs, and the patch format in general, are easy to add later if it
turns out we need them.  I think we need a couple of projects managed this
way before we really understand what the process needs...