[ANN] Monticello Versioning

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Jul 24 17:20:12 UTC 2003

[not much about MC can be scaled back to make an installer]
That leaves us with a small trillema -
* Do we bloat the default image with around 60 classes to support a
format that a user might never load?
* Do we make it require manual installation of Monticello before people
can install mcvs from SM?
* Do we expect developers to work with mcv files, but makes releases
using .st files? this makes it harder for users of a package to become
developers, which think we should avoid.

BTW, from a quick glance at MC, seems to me that the following might be
removable -
* Tests
* UI
* Mocks
* Storing
* Merging
* Patching?

The code left is not trivial, but it is significantly less. Including it
in Basic might not be unreasonable. The fact that it includes a
declarative model of code might be considered an advantage in some
circles ;-)

Daniel