[ANN] Monticello Versioning

Julian Fitzell julian at beta4.com
Thu Jul 24 18:08:17 UTC 2003

Daniel Vainsencher wrote:
> Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:
>>- it certainly might end
>>up being a useful piece of info for versions to be able to carry around.
>>
>>For practical purposes, however, there will probably be a single directory
>>online somewhere that is the reference repository for a particular
>>package;
>
> Why should there be such a thing? people can each publish on their own
> publically viewable web space gotten through whatever means
> (university/work/"I own an ISP"), with nothing but the release catalog,
> SM, being centralized. This seems perfectly feasible right now, without
> webdav support.

Well, to do a merge you want to find a common ancestor (preferably the
most common one).  The nice thing about a distributed repository system
is that you can maintain your own for your company (or on your laptop
while on the plane) but you can push them into a public repository
later.  So it may be a disadvantage to identify a version by URL.  You
certainly could provide a URL to a version, but I think their could be
many URLs that would give you the same version (uniquely identified by
UUID).

So it's likely that a project would have a "public" repository of
versions that have been published.  Developers might have their own
repositories and they might list each others' repositories as places to
look for packages, but end users would likely only have the public
repository in their lists.

That's the vision we've been talking about anyway.  Not that there's
anything in the MC model that forces that particular view - that's just
what we've been moving towards as I understand it (and I say we loosly
since I've been talking to Avi and Colin a lot about it but not really
contributing much code recently :).

Julian